I can’t say that I blame them, but…
…here is the statement just issued by the UC-Berkeley Republican group which asked Ann Coulter to speak, rescinding its invitation:
When Young America’s Foundation confirmed Ann Coulter would speak at UC-Berkeley as part of YAF’s nationwide campus lecture program on April 27, we assumed UC Berkeley would take all steps necessary to ensure the safety of students attending the educational event.
In the meantime we discovered that the University of California Police Department at Berkeley has an official “stand-down” policy for any situation that develops on campus as long as the situation doesn’t involve the imminent loss of life, allowing the leftist thugs who have terrorized Berkeley’s campus to do so without consequence.
In order to ensure safety of those involved and for the lecture to go forward, Young America’s Foundation requested that Berkeley adhere to the following equal access terms for the event:
- Central location on the main campus
- Room holding hundreds of participants
- Afternoon/early evening timing
- Ability to publicize event
- University to announce that there will be zero tolerance at the event itself for masked agitators, disruption of the event; and sufficient security to ensure the safety of attendees; space for protest to be cordoned a reasonable and constitutionally permissible distance from event
- University to confirm that it has communicated the event details to Berkeley City Police, and are coordinating security with them to ensure that any rioters/violent protestors/masked disruptors are appropriately contained and dealt with
As of 4:00 p.m. today, UC-Berkeley failed to meet our demands, after refusing to provide a proper venue for six weeks. Berkeley made it impossible to hold a lecture due to the lack of assurances for protections from foreseeable violence from unrestrained leftist agitators.
Berkeley should be ashamed for creating this hostile atmosphere.
“As a parent and a taxpayer, I want the next generation to learn in an educational environment, not a circus,” said Ron Robinson, President of Young America’s Foundation to the Washington Examiner. “I had the misfortune of being in a leftist riot as a student, and I wouldn’t want to put my children or anyone else’s children into that situation without assurances that law enforcement would protect them.”
YAF is pressing forward with its lawsuit against UC-Berkeley, and looks forward to the day when First Amendment freedoms are enjoyed by conservative students.
Ms. Coulter may still choose to speak in some form on campus, but Young America’s Foundation will not jeopardize the safety of its staff or students. For information on Ms. Coulter’s plans, please contact her directly.
Young America’s Foundation
Executive Board of the Berkeley College Republicans
I would call the Berkeley College Republicans cowardly. But the fact that they openly admit to being Republicans at UC-Berkeley proves otherwise.
That aside, with no invitation to speak, Ms. Coulter may or may not come to Berkeley on Friday. We have yet to hear from her.
What a great “win” for the fascist brownshirts who rule Berkeley – both the school and the city.
How proud they must be.