MARYLAND\’S OBAMACARE EXCHANGE DISASTER: WHO SHOULD PAY FOR IT?

Last month I blogged about how much money Maryland blew on its ObamaCare state exchange, and how little it got for that money.  At that time I asked about Maryland what I have asked about Oregon, and most certainly about the national web site…why have there not been demands for a full and partial refund?  Who is responsible?  Why are the people who completely, totally blew the web site projects not held to account?  Why are taxpayers being soaked for the entire bill?

Well, there\’s more news on this subject.

Excerpted from Mary Pat Flaherty and Jenna Johnson\’s article in the Washington Post:

Maryland officials are set to replace the state\’s online health-insurance exchange with technology from Connecticut\’s insurance marketplace, according to two people familiar with the decision, an acknowledgment that a system that has cost at least $125.5 million is broken beyond repair.

The board of the Maryland exchange plans to vote on the change Tuesday, the day after the end of the first enrollment period for the state\’s residents under the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

Maryland is not alone in having deep-seated problems with its health marketplace. Technical issues also have plagued Oregon, Minnesota and Hawaii. But Maryland will be the first to walk away from its site, a particular embarrassment for Lt. Gov. Anthony G. Brown (D), who was placed in charged of implementing health-care reform in Maryland by Gov. Martin O\’Malley (D).

O\’Malley told reporters Friday morning to expect an announcement on the future of the troubled exchange next week. The exchange board is scheduled to meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Dori Henry, a spokeswoman for the Maryland exchange, said no decision would be finalized until the board votes on it. “The official line is the same: A decision has not been made,” Henry said. “There will not be anything further coming from the state until a decision is made.”

Henry said the exchange has cost $125.5 million to develop and operate.

Asking again: Why is this money lost to the state of Maryland? Why is a partial, or complete, refund not due?

Who screwed this up so irrevocably that the entire system had to be scrapped? Was it the web site developer? Or was it people appointed by Governor Martin O\’Malley?

And why am I asking these questions, but not the Washington Post or other mainstream media?

If it were a Republican program and all this money were lost, do you doubt for one second that these questions would be asked?  Immediately?  With answers demanded just as fast?

This is what happens when you have a combination of legislation that is an unworkable monstrosity, and media which have forgone objectivity and root for one side.

How do you like it?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *