Today’s paragraph comes to us from Paul Bedard’s latest commentary for the Washington examiner.
After enumerating the remarkable number of accomplishments President Trump can be credited for just this week,…
- An agreement on a new U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal.
- A new budget including more than $1.3 billion for a border wall and blocks a government shutdown.
- House approval of the U.S. Space Force, a brand-new branch of the military.
- Government family leave that will be a model for a proposal for the public.
- Tentative agreement on trade with China.
- Approval of Trump’s 50th federal appeals judge.
- Confirmation of a new Food and Drug Administration chief.
- The signing of a pro-Israel anti-Semitism executive order.
…Mr. Bedard tells us this:
A GOP adviser said, “President Trump and the Republicans are an irresistible force surging over, around, and through the gelatinous Democrats — a growing number of whom are realizing daily that what they’re doing is seen by the public as trivial and senseless. Just think of what could be accomplished for our country if the loony Left wasn’t so obsessed with destroying Trump.”
Mr. Bedard wins Paragraph Of The Day honors – not for his conclusion, which, of course, is someone else’s he is just repeating, – but for the fact that it’s so beautifully encapsulates the dilemma Democrats have put themselves in.
At this point the Republican story is that all this has been accomplished in spite of, rather than with Democrats.
And even if Democrats now try to work with President Trump, due to their nothing-but-impeachment activity during the past year, Republicans can present it as a purely political effort, not in any way sincere.
Not a very good place to be. And all of their own doing.